Sexual Harassment & Sexual Violence


Western prohibits sex discrimination, which includes sexual harassment. Sexual assault and sexual violence are severe forms of sexual harassment under Title IX as well as other federal and state anti-discrimination laws. Western is committed to preventing, addressing, and responding to sex discrimination in accordance with Western's Title IX Policy or Western's Equal Opportunity Policy as appropriate.

Sex discrimination, on or off campus, can have a serious impact on the quality of the educational and/or work experience. All students and employees have a right to work and educational environments free from sex discrimination. Therefore, Western adopts policies and programs aimed at preventing and responding to sex discrimination and prohibits retaliation against individuals who file or participate in discrimination complaints. Western has numerous reporting options and resources for survivors of sexual harassment, some of which are confidential and some of which have limited confidentiality as outlined below.

What You Can Do

If you have experienced sexual violence, it is important for you to know it is not your fault. Western’s primary concern is your safety, and we encourage you to utilize any or all of the suggestions below:

  • Go to a safe place
  • Seek support
  • Preserve evidence
  • Consider obtaining a medical examination
  • Utilize campus resources
  • Report the incident 

What You Can Do If you Have Experienced Sexual Violence 

Support Services and Reporting Options for People Who Have Experienced Sexual Harassment

Employee Resources

University Confidential

Regional Resources

For Everyone Kitsap County Snohomish County

Community Resources

For Everyone Whatcom County

Off campus resources and reporting options are available. Here are just a few examples:

DVSAS (Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Services)

PeaceHealth St. Joesph Medical Center

Lummi Victims of Crime

To Report Sexual Harassment

For Students For Employees

Reports of discrimination based on sex/gender may be made to the Title IX Coordinator. The Office of Civil Rights and Title IX Compliance can help coordinate support services and initiate interim actions.

Title IX Coordinator | The CRTC

To File a Criminal Report

For Students For Employees

Survivors of sexual violence may file a criminal report with University or local Police. University Police can also assist with safety planning and providing campus escorts.

University Police | Bellingham Police